Nathan is a chocolate maniac. I know the way to his heart: chocolate chip cookies, brownies, chocolate cake, and most importantly chocolate pie. During the day, whenever I am baking, I love sending him pictures of the stuff he gets to come home to; his reactions are the best. To this pie it was, "OH HOLY NIGHT." I knew how excited he would be and that makes me excited. This chocolate pie is a good old classic - simple, no frills, just the good stuff.
You will need for pie:
- 1-1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 4 whole Egg Yolks
- 6-1/2 ounces, weight Bittersweet Chocolate, Chopped Finely
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
For whipped cream
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- For the crust I use the BEST crust I've ever made. Recipe found here.
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir or whisk together.
- Pour in milk and egg yolks, and whisk together.
- Stir over medium heat until the mixture just barely comes to a boil and becomes thick, about 6-8 minutes (maybe more) The second it starts to bubble and thicken (note: It should be thick like pudding!) remove it from the heat. Add the chocolate, vanilla, and butter, and stir until everything is beautifully combined. Warning: this feels like it takes forever and feels like you're probably doing it wrong. Do not loose hope! I think this every time I make it.
- Pour the pudding into the pie crust.
- Whip the whipped cream in a mixer fitted with a whisk until soft peaks form. Once the peaks have formed add 3/4 cups powdered sugar and beat until texture you prefer. Spread on top of your pie!