I am not a huge muffin girl unless they are obscenely moist. These are just that and have the best holiday flavor. These are definitely going into regular rotation in our house!
Yield: 12 muffins Total time: 35 min
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup grated apple
- 1 1/4 cup grated carrot
Brown Butter Glaze:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 or 4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375˚
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the oil, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and milk.
- Gently fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture followed by the shredded carrots and apple. Be careful to not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin pan lined with muffin liners. Fill to the top to get that nice muffin mound shape once baked.
- While the muffins are baking, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a pan. Stir regularly to avoid burning the butter. Melt until the butter turns a nice golden color. Pour into a bowl and whisk in the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Set aside.
- Bake muffins until the toothpick comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Remove from muffin pan immediately to a cooling rack.
- Once the muffins are completely cooled, drizzle with brown butter glaze and serve.