Since making a conscious effort to eliminate dairy, Nathan's sweet tooth has increased a million percent. On Saturday morning I decided to surprise him with a stack of SWEET pancakes that tasted anything but vegan. I'm not sure he chewed while consuming these…..I'll be saving this recipe for later.
For the pancakes you will need:
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds, or flax
- 2.5 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 3 tbs of dark chocolate chips
For the Streusel:
- 1 huge tablespoon of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance vegan butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚. To make the Streusel, combine the flour and sugar, mix well. Add the butter and crumble together with your fingers. Spread out mixture on a cooking sheet. Bake until the streusel is light brown then set aside.
2. In a bowl, add the mashed banana, baking soda, baking powder, salt, vanilla extract, chia seed and water. Whisk until well combined. Let set for a bit.
3. Add the melted butter and rice milk and whisk together.
4. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Then, add the chocolate chips and lightly mix them in. Let the batter sit for a bit.
5. Grease a non stick pan with coconut oil or more vegan butter. The key to good pancakes for me is to make a trial pancake. The first pancake is never good. Rub the pancake all over the pan with a spatula. Maybe it's superstition, but I know for a fact that this makes the following pancakes better!
6. Finally, top with streusel and DROWN in syrup. ENJOY!!
Recipe adapted from the Minimalist Baker.